Here’s what’s going on in the soccer industry this morning…
- Manchester United’s German midfielder Bastian Schweinsteiger has signed a one-year deal to join Chicago Fire.
- German soccer champion Bayern Munich has become the first foreign club to open an office in mainland China as it seeks new sponsorship and merchandising deals in a nation where the sport has become a national priority.
- A little-known official from Madagascar toppled African soccer head Issa Hayatou, ending almost 30 years of rule as the world’s most-popular sport continues to deal with the fallout of corruption probes into its management.
- MTN Cameroon, the local subsidiary of South African telecommunication company MTN, will sponsor the Cameroon’s top professional soccer leagues.
- Chinese automotive company SWM Motors has become an official regional partner of Italian soccer giants Inter Milan.
- In announcing its plans to develop a new stadium, Serie A team ACF Fiorentina revealed that virtual reality technology had been used to “verify the visibility from every seat, already at the planning stage.”